Infrastructure at your Service

Morgan Patou

AEM Forms – WebLogic Clustering synch issue for Workbench 2-way-SSL

In a previous blog, I described the process to setup the AEM Forms to allow the AEM Workbench to connect to AEM using “2-way-SSL”. This setup is normally independent of the Application Server that you are using to host AEM. However, I already faced an issue (other than this one) which was caused by the 2-way-SSL setup for the Workbench in case of a WebLogic Cluster has been used to host AEM.

As mentioned in previous blog, I’m not an AEM expert but I know a few things about WebLogic so the idea here was to setup a fully functional WebLogic Cluster composed of two Managed Servers on two hosts/machines, test it properly and then install the AEM Forms application on top of it. Obviously, AEM Forms has been configured behind a Load Balancer for this purpose. At this point, AEM Forms was working perfectly in HA and stopping one of the nodes wasn’t a problem.

Then I configured the Workbench for 2-way-SSL and I did so while being connected to the AEM Node1 in Workbench, creating the Hybrid Domain in the AEM AdminUI Node1, aso… At the end of the setup, the AEM Workbench was working properly with the 2-way-SSL setup as well so it looked like the setup was completed. Just to be sure, I stopped the AEM Node1 and try to login to the AEM Workbench with the exact same parameters (same keystore, same truststore, same passwords) except for the target Server which I switched to the AEM Node2. Doing so, the login failed and I could see in the AEM Node2 Managed Server logs the following message:

####<Feb 12, 2019 2:14:46,277 PM UTC> <Info> <EJB> <aem-node-2> <msAEM-02> <[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '76' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'> <<anonymous>> <> <81fe4dac-31f0-4c25-bf37-17d5b327a901-0000005e> <1549980886277> <[severity-value: 64] [rid: 0] [partition-id: 0] [partition-name: DOMAIN] > <BEA-010227> <EJB exception occurred during invocation from home or business: com.adobe.idp.dsc.transaction.impl.ejb.adapter.EjbTransactionBMTAdapter_fw85em_Intf generated exception: ALC-DSC-124-000: com.adobe.idp.dsc.DSCAuthorizationException: User does not have the Service Read Permission.>

 
Just looking at this message, it’s clear that the user account that is working properly for the AEM Node1 isn’t working for the AEM Node2. After some investigation, it looked like the Hybrid Domain wasn’t shown on the AEM AdminUI Node2, for some reason… Both nodes are using the same Oracle Database and the same GDS (Global Document Storage) path so I thought that the issue might be related to a cache somewhere in AEM. Therefore, I thought about re-creating the Hybrid Domain but I just cancelled this move right away because I assume it could have bring me more trouble than solution (I didn’t want to create 2 objects with the same name, avoid corruption or whatever…):

  • Open the AEM AdminUI Node2 (Node1 is still down) (https://<AEM_HOST_2>:<AEM_PORT>/adminui)
  • Login with an administative account (E.g.: administrator)
  • Navigate to: Settings > User Management > Domain Management
    • -> Only 1 domain is displayed, the default one: DefaultDom
  • Click on “New Hybrid Domain
    • Click on “Cancel”

 
After doing that, the Hybrid Domain (the one created in this blog, named “SSLMutualAuthProvider“) magically appeared so I assume that it forced a synchronization and an update of the cache on the AEM Node2. Trying again a login to the AEM Workbench without changing the parameters printed the following on the AEM Node2 Managed Server logs:

####<Feb 12, 2019 2:30:43,208 PM UTC> <Info> <com.adobe.livecycle.usermanager.sslauthprovider.SSLMutualAuthProvider> <aem-node-2> <msAEM-02> <[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '117' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'> <<anonymous>> <BEA1-24A18C6CA9D79C032EFA> <81fe4dac-31f0-4c25-bf37-17d5b327a901-00000067> <1549981843208> <[severity-value: 64] [rid: 0] [partition-id: 0] [partition-name: DOMAIN] > <BEA-000000> <Got Subject DN as CN=aem-dev,OU=IT,O=dbi services,L=Delemont,ST=Jura,C=CH>

 
The above message means that the login is successful and Workbench is able to load the data from AEM properly. I guess that there are other ways to fix this issue. There is a “Sync Now” as well as a “Refresh” button on the Domain Management page of the AdminUI so maybe this would have done the same thing and forced a synchronization… I must admit that I first thought about re-creating the Hybrid Domain but cancelled that and since it solved my issue, I couldn’t test more, unfortunately. A restart of the AEM Node2 is also sufficient to force a refresh but this takes a few minutes and it requires a downtime so it’s not ideal.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Morgan Patou
Morgan Patou

Senior Consultant & Technology Leader ECM